Do not let brown spots, splotchy skin and rough texture make you look older than you actually are. Hyperpigmentation, also known as sun or liver spots, is primarily caused by sun damage. The spots can become darker and even multiply as you get older.
Ways to Prevent Hyperpigmentation
The number one way to help prevent hyperpigmentation is to limit your sun exposure and always wear sun protection. Here are a few simple, skin-saving strategies:
● Avoid direct sunlight when possible during the peak hours of 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
● Sit under an umbrella or in the shade when you are outdoors.
● Wear sun protective clothing – like SPF fabrics – when you plan to spend time outdoors.
● Shade your face and scalp with a wide-brimmed hat.
● Apply a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 every day. Broad spectrum filters out both UVA rays that lead to the signs of aging and UVB rays that cause sunburn.
Reduce the Look of Hyperpigmentation with Exfoliates and Spot Treatments
Help reduce the look of brown spots with cleansers that exfoliate the darkened top layers of skin and moisturizers that help to fade the look of dark spots.
● Exfoliating Cleansers. Cleansers with microbeads gently buff skin’s dead layer of skin. Be sure to avoid harsh scrubs with nutshells or coffee grounds which are likely to tear or irritate your skin.
● Key Ingredient: Salicylic Acid. A cleanser with salicylic acid, a gentle and effective chemical exfoliant, can also help keep pores clear. It exfoliates and unblocks the surface of pores for a deep clean.
● A Microdermabrasion Kit or Cleansing Brush. Microdermabrasion kits are safe, at-home treatments similar to the expensive, exfoliating treatment offered by most dermatologists. Cleansing brushes are another great alternative that gently exfoliates to reveal smooth and bright skin.
● Spot Treatments- Concentrated spot treatments with Niacinimide and NAG (N-Acetyl Glucosamine) can help exfoliate the top layer of the skin and fade melanin pigmentation.
● CC Creams. Worn under makeup or as a light-weight moisturizer, CC creams help even out skin tone and conceal hyper-pigmented areas.
Though hyperpigmentation can be a natural result of aging, careful attention and preventative care can limit spots from popping up on your skin, giving you a radiant, even complexion.