How to Turn Back the Clock on Fine Lines and Wrinkles
With age comes wisdom… and an acceptance of what you can and cannot change. While you cannot stop the clock, you can minimize the toll aging takes on your skin, especially when it comes to fine lines and wrinkles.
What Causes Fine Lines and Wrinkles?
You are more likely to have fine lines and wrinkles if:
- You are exposed to the sun, free radicals through pollution or smoke (even more so if you are a smoker!)
- Your mom has or had them
- You are over 40. As we age, production of natural oils, collagen and elastic decreases, leaving skin drier, thinner and less resilient. Fat stored beneath the skin’s surface starts to diminish, causing skin to sag.
How to Help Prevent the Appearance of Fine Lines and Wrinkles
Three words: minimize sun exposure. Here’s how:
- Apply a broad spectrum sunscreen of at least SPF 15 daily, winter and cloudy days included. Broad spectrum products filter out both the UVA rays leading to skin aging and UVB rays causing sunburn.
- Sit under an umbrella or in the shade when outdoors
- Protect your face and scalp with a wide-brimmed hat
- Stop smoking. Cigarette smoke makes you look older and raises your risk for cancer and heart disease
What You Can Do About Fine Lines and Wrinkles
You can’t stop or reverse the aging process, but you can reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles with a regular skincare regimen.
- Wash your face morning and night to remove makeup, perspiration and grime.
- Apply a moisturizer with SPF daily to prevent further sun damage.
- Try a CC cream with light-reflecting particles to instantly help reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
- At night, use a moisturizer with Niacinimide to exfoliate the top layer of skin. Ingredients like vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate) and vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid) can also help by absorbing surface free radicals that can further damage your skin.
- The skin around the eyes is the first to show fine lines and wrinkles because it is so thin. A hydrating eye cream containing Niacinimide and vitamins B5 and E can help the area appear firmer and smoother.
Do not let bad skincare choices add years to your face. These tips can help make your skin look younger, fresher, and brighter helping you turn back time.
http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/health-and-beauty/every-stage-of-life/adult-skin/how-to-create-an-anti-aging-skin-care-plan http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003252.htm http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/wrinkles/basics/definition/con-20029887
Was this article helpful?