Top Tips to Diminish Dark Under Eye Circles
Dark under eye circles do not discriminate: they affect the young and old and people of all ethnicities. Read on to understand how you can help prevent, manage, and cover up dark circles for a fresh-faced and full-rested look.
What’s Behind the Dark Circles?
It is important to understand what causes dark circles before you can jump into dealing with them:
- Do Not Skimp on Your Sleep. Getting at least seven to eight hours of sleep a night is the first step in preventing dark under eye circles. Try sleeping with a second pillow so your head is elevated, preventing fluid from accumulating around your eyes.
- Avoid Too Much Salt or Alcohol. Salt and alcohol can dehydrate your skin and cause swelling around your eyes as fluid retention accumulates.
- Allergies. Allergies cause sinus congestion and can dilate blood vessels in thin eye area skin, giving the appearance of dark circles. If you suspect you have allergies, talk to your doctor about possible treatments.
- Hyperpigmentation. Discolouration under the eyes often appears as a brownish band of skin that is slightly curved. Sun damage is usually the culprit, but the cause could also be genetic.
- Sleeping in eye makeup. Leftover makeup (especially mascara and eyeliner) can irritate eyes, so it is important to remove it before you go to bed to avoid waking up with those dreaded raccoon eyes.
The Dark Circle Solution:
To lighten dark under eye circles try the following tips:
- Cleanse. Use a gentle cleanser or pre-moistened makeup removing cloth to remove makeup before bed. Avoid rubbing or pulling too harshly around the delicate eye area which can further irritate the skin.
- Moisturize. Apply a moisturizer with a SPF 15 daily to help prevent sun damage. A moisturizer with Niacinamide can also keep the area hydrated and minimize the appearance of skin discolouration.
- Conceal. A CC cream has a subtle tint that will immediately camouflage hyperpigmented areas for a brighter look. Ingredients like titanium dioxide, zinc oxide and cucumber extract help protect, soothe and de-puff the area.
- Massage. A gentle massage under the eye area with a lightweight moisturizer or eye cream boosts circulation and reduces the look of puffiness.
Dark under eye circles may be unavoidable at one time or another, but do not let them get the best of you. With a few lifestyle changes and smart skincare choices you can look refreshed and energized every morning!
Was this article helpful?